28 C
Panjim
Thursday, June 4, 2020

Tourist taxis, Yellow-black cab goes off the road in protest

Must read

Decision on whether to not to seal Vasco by this evening: CM

Panaji: Goa government will take a call on sealing entire Vasco city by today evening, chief minister Pramod Sawant said refusing to comment on...

CM visits Mangor Hill area, claims that stringent measures are in place

Vasco: Chief Minister Pramod Sawant on Thursday visited Mangor Hill area in Vasco town which has been declared as containment zone amidst rising number...

Earlier covid was imported, now its Atmanirbhar?: Girish Chodankar

  Panaji: Congress Goa Chief Girish Chodankar has questioned CM Pramod Sawant’s wisdom of blaming one family for COVID outbreak. Chodankar tweeted “Earlier #Covid in Goa...

COVID19: Goa’s active cases hits a century, 31 new infection detected since last night

Panaji: Goa’s COVID-19 active cases have touched a century mark with 31 new positive cases traced since last night in the State. The biggest...
- Advertisement -

Several hundred tourist taxis including yellow and black cabs operating at state’s airport stayed off the road on Friday protesting against state government’s refusal to accept their demand.

Goa government earlier this week had refused the demands of various tourist taxi unions to scrap app-based cab Goa Miles, which is supported by Goa Tourism Development Corporation (GTDC).

Several tourists were stranded at the hotels as the taxis have refused to ferry them to the airport and railway stations.

“We have remained off the road to protest against government’s action of not scrapping Goa Miles. The protest is symbolic,” Vinayak Nanoskar, a Taxi union leader.

He said that all the tourist taxis, which are more than 25,000 in number, have remained off the road. “Yellow and Black cabs which operate from Dabolim airport have also joined us,” he said.

Nanoskar said that the protest is peaceful and appealed all the taxi operators to cooperate with the union.

- Advertisement -

More articles

1 COMMENT

  1. Govt must give an ultimatum that if they dont return to their work for which the permit was given, their permits will be cancelled. After that, whoever is still on strike, their permits must be cancelled and they should not be eligible for a new permit for the next 3 years. Enough of carrots. Time for stick.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest article

Decision on whether to not to seal Vasco by this evening: CM

Panaji: Goa government will take a call on sealing entire Vasco city by today evening, chief minister Pramod Sawant said refusing to comment on...

CM visits Mangor Hill area, claims that stringent measures are in place

Vasco: Chief Minister Pramod Sawant on Thursday visited Mangor Hill area in Vasco town which has been declared as containment zone amidst rising number...

Earlier covid was imported, now its Atmanirbhar?: Girish Chodankar

  Panaji: Congress Goa Chief Girish Chodankar has questioned CM Pramod Sawant’s wisdom of blaming one family for COVID outbreak. Chodankar tweeted “Earlier #Covid in Goa...

COVID19: Goa’s active cases hits a century, 31 new infection detected since last night

Panaji: Goa’s COVID-19 active cases have touched a century mark with 31 new positive cases traced since last night in the State. The biggest...

Lokayukta was right, only God can save Goa: Vijai Sardesai

  Margao: Pointing out to the increase in the number of cases since last night, Goa Forward Party chief Vijai Sardesai has said “The Lokayukta...